Beginners DIY - Introduction to DIY
Hanging a shelf sounds simple but in practice it’s anything but. Will you electrocute yourself and hit an electric cable if you drill a hole in the wall? Will you burst a pipe? What type of wall is it anyway and why oh why is the fixings isle in B&Q so confusing? Worry no more, we are here to help!
In this 3 hour introduction to DIY course, we’ll give you the skills you need to identify what you’re drilling into, avoid the electrics and plumbing, be able to navigate B&Q like a pro and hang your shelves with ease on almost any wall type.
Suitable for DIY beginners, we will start from scratch and guide you through every step of the process ensuring you get hands-on with the tools and practice hanging wall fixings.
You will learn:
• How to use a hammer action drill and drill driver
• How to drill into plasterboard, wood, concrete, metal and tiles
• How to choose which type of drill bit to use
• How to understand what’s likely to be behind a wall just by looking at it
• How to identify what type of walls you have at home
• How to choose the appropriate wall fixings to use in almost any scenario
• How to mark up a wall in the correct way to ensure your shelves are level
• How to attach your shelf to the wall
• How to attach a batten to the wall to hang shelves in alcoves
• How to be safe and avoid accidents
We understand it can be daunting to take on these tasks when you’re unsure of yourself and unsure of what equipment to buy to get the job done so why not take action? Grab the bull by the horns and join us for a fun, safe and relaxing workshop learning a new set of skills that will last a lifetime.
In this hands on DIY class, you will be using the following tools::
• Hammer Drill
• Cordless Drill Driver
• Masonry Drill Bits
• Wood and plaster Drill Bits
• Variety of Fixings and Setting Tools
• Spirit Level
• Stud Finder
When you’re visiting the The Ash & Co Workshop, you’ll feel right at home. The workshop is a safe and friendly environment that welcomes all ages and genders to share in our passion for making and all things DIY. All tools, materials and safety equipment are provided on the course and complimentary tea, coffee and water are always available.
HOW TO BOOK:
To secure your place on one of our beginners Introduction to DIY workshop courses simply fill out the form at the top of this page and purchase through the usual checkout process.
We will need the name of the attendee and a contact phone number or email address. You will receive an email confirming all the details, and we are always happy to answer any questions you may have before you arrive.